Thursday, June 7, 2012

Mini - 1500 meter Series Update


I believe I am due for a racing update. I am currently in Indianapolis waiting for my third and final race of my “Mini 1500 M series.” I raced last Saturday in Boston and ran a 4.20.9. As I had mentioned in my previous blog, it was very rainy, so not ideal conditions, but I was pleased with how I competed. After completing the race, I knew I needed to make sure lap 2 and 3 moved, and had confidence that I would be able to put it all together in Indianapolis.

After arriving in Indianapolis, I was none but thrilled to see that the race entries were very competitive, and there would be a rabbit that would take the leaders through at a 2:12 for the first 800 Meters. I planned to come through at 2:14, and be right off of them and then focus on closing well. In reality, I had a better first half than last week; I came through at 2:16, but had a hard time closing. After the race, I was very frustrated (for lack of better term). Some of the girls in my race ran qualifying times to go on to the Trials, and it really stung to realize that I missed out on a sweet opportunity to reach that goal.
A good night sleep, lots of love and support from people around me, and a simple, but encouraging phone call from my oldest sister Bekah helped to make me feel encouraged and excited to race again with confidence on Saturday. First, a huge shout out and thank you to my sister, Annie, and my boyfriend, Dan, for driving all ten hours to cheer me on in my race! I am so blessed to have people that are so supportive. It was a small glimpse of God our Father’s love when I received a hug and a reminder that they love me no matter how I raced. Today, Dan and Annie spent this morning with Jamie Cheever and I. We went to a delicious breakfast cafĂ© on the canal in Indianapolis and then they hit the long road home. Later, Bekah, my other sister called. We had a brief conversation, but she really encouraged me. She reminded me of some of my workouts the past few weeks; how some went really well, and how some went really not-so-well. Some days you feel great, while other days, just are not as fluid as one would hope. To clarify, I acknowledge that my race yesterday really was not horrible. It was actually the second fastest time I have ever run, but I was just hoping for more. Thus, I have to believe, that yesterday was not my perfect race, and I am ready to step to the line again on Saturday for one more attempt at qualifying for the Olympic Trials!
In the mean time, I get to hang out here in Indianapolis with Jamie Cheever and recover from yesterday, and prepare for Saturday. In the Picture above, you can see us doing one of our favorite activities, Ice Bathing! When we are not ice bathing, we are trying to be very creative with how we spend out time in Indianapolis without a car.... I am so grateful for her companionship! In a future blog, I plan to share with you some of our recent escapades:)

No comments:

Post a Comment