Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Time Flies


They say, “Time flies when you are having fun”… To say the least, time flew when I ran the TC One Mile race last Thursday night. Some of the fun and joy that accompanied the race included: preparing to race all day and focusing on a single task, meeting other competitive and like-minded men and women runners, lining up with Professional Runners and realizing I am one of them, being cheered on along Nicollet Avenue by all of the fans, and celebrating at the finish line with the amazing friends and family that came out to support me. The race was certainly fun, but the experience was far more valuable than providing a small blink of entertainment, it prepared me well for the races to come in the next two weeks.
My coach and I decided that because there are more opportunities to race a 1500 M than a 5K, I will refocus on the 1500M for the rest of this season in order to chase an Olympic Trials qualifying time. My plan is to race in Boston on June 2nd at the Boston Twilight Series, June 6th at the American Milers Club Series in Indianapolis, and finally race on June 9th  in Indianapolis.
The One mile race went fast. I recall my training partner, Meghan Peyton, saying that she just focuses on getting across the train tracks at about 200 M. I recall reaching that point, and then running through the 400 M mark.  To say the least, part of the race was feeling really long until I realized that I was at 1200 meters, and I somehow missed the 800 M mark. All I could do was try to regain my focus and positive attitude and finish as hard as I could. As I crossed the line, I was amazed by how fast the race really went by.
I was kicking myself after the race. I felt like I lost focus and “blinked” around the halfway point of the race and let the pack go. I have reflected on how I am going to apply what I learned in the race to the next few races. I am visualizing myself staying focused and in the zone for the entire race, and racing with a confidence that I can stick to a pace and the pack all the way through the finish line.
I can’t help but feel frustrated because my tendency in a lot of races is to lose focus and faith for a second- and then try to come back. It reminds me a lot of Peter, one of Jesus’ disciples. In Matthew 14, the men were out on the stormy water and Jesus appeared to them and said, “Take courage. It is I. Do not be afraid.” Peter walked out of the boat towards Jesus, but when he took his eyes off of Jesus and worried about the waves around him, he began to sink. I think it is the same way with me in racing. As soon as I take my eyes off of the goal and start to think about how I am feeling, I begin to struggle. I am so thankful that I have “brief” 4-minute races where I get to take a risk and have faith. It is my hope that as I step to the line, I can acknowledge that God enables me to do all I do, and then race with a fierce and competitive focus. It is also my hope, that in all areas of my life, my eternal focus stays on Jesus, rather than on myself. For anyone that knows me well, I am far from this goal. Thankfully, Peter doubted and took his eyes off, Jesus still pulled him back up and strengthened his faith. In the same way, I know that Jesus continues to pull me back up, each time I turn back to him and acknowledge that I need him. So, here I go. I know time will fly when I am racing these 1500 M races, but this time it will fly by while I “Take courage and am not afraid!”

“Take Courage. It is I. Do not be afraid!” Mathew 14:27.

1 comment: