Thursday, July 4, 2013

The canvas and the stone- Belgium update#1

This morning was the first day waking up in Belgium. It is quite surreal walking down quaint alley ways paved with cobblestone, hearing church bells ring from tall and ornate bell towers, and hearing a variety of conversations, all in different languages. Despite the different surroundings, I still have my unchanging God. The amazing architecture screams his name as do the people that are so hospitable. Although I have only known my teammates for a few days, I already feel as though they are family. Perhaps it helps getting stuck in the airport for 9 hours on a delay and having nothing to do except hang out...and figure out how we wanted to spending our $20 voucher... I am so blessed to have very fun and authentic teammates. We all seem to bring something unique to the group and it is small enough group to feel very cohesive. This morning we had what we call team time where we have a bible study or faith based discussion. We were wrestling over what it really looks like to use your sport as an act of worship, and if it is possible to have a pure motivation to want to reflect God's glory and yet be a fierce competitor! I am looking forward to racing the 1500 this weekend and continuing to try to race with courage and gratitude in my heart. It looks like the field will be very competitive and I can't wait to compete with some talented women.
 One of the recent themes of my life is learning how to be present in the moment and to trust the momentary good will of God, not looking ahead or behind. Today I read a beautiful analogy of what it should look and feel like to be abandoned to the Lord's will. We are each like a piece of canvas or a stone that an artist is going to paint a mural or carve a sculpture on. The canvas can only feel the stroke or dab of the brush and the stoned can only feel the uncomfortable chisel of the tool. They can only trust the work of the artist to complete the good work and that the momentary lack of understanding will make sense in the end. I am eager to see what canvas The Lord is painting here in Belgium and to see how it will point to him in the near future and on towards the rest of my life. As for the race, I am thrilled yet intimidated of the field I will be racing with, but trying to celebrate and rest in the opportunity to race and trust that it is merely a celebratory stroke in my life!

Happy Fourth of of July from Belgium! We will be celebrating 7 hours ahead of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment