Sunday, July 21, 2013

Belgium Update #3

Jamie and I exploring Brussels
I made it through 4 races in the last 8 days! I really was hoping to run a pr in the 1500, but it turns out I had an 800 pr! I raced a 1500 in Heusden on Saturday and came back on Sunday to run an 800. I don't exactly feel like an 800 runner, but had a great time stepping to the line and not having anything to think about except trying to run as fast as I could. I was hoping to break 2:10. I got to race with Heather and my teammate Katie. I should probably qualify that statement and say that I warmed up with Heather...and followed as closely behind as possible. I was really grateful for the race because it was a unique opportunity to race without any pressure and practice using racing as an intense chance to worship the God that gave me the gift. I ended up just barely sneaking under 2.10, as I ran 2:09.93! I will take it and celebrate it! Throughout these last few races I really wish that I had run a little faster, but I can honestly say that I had a blast racing and am eager to continue to train and stay healthy. I am so grateful that I have an eagerness to continue to race and train.

 This past week we finally got into a little more of a routine. We meet daily for what we call team time. It is a time for us to study the bible, pray, and discuss with one another. It has been so amazing how united the group is becoming. We are studying Ephesians. The first half is about the gifts that God gives us when we believe in Jesus Christ, and the second half of the letter is about how we are to live our life in response to the love God has shown us. It was really powerful to talk about what the body of Christ looks like and how together by playing the role we are each called to play we reflect the person of Jesus Christ. It is so amazing that we can understand who God is better by relating with one another and experiencing other's gifts and understanding. Jodi, our leader shared this African word, Ubuntu which loosely translates to, "I can't be all that I am, unless you are all of who you are." I was once again reminded of the beauty of competition and my need to stop comparing myself to others, but strive to see what potential I can reach, and in the process, hope that it allows others to seek to be the best they can be.

 This weekend I am not racing. We got to be tourists and visit Brussels. It is a neat city with lots of chocolate and waffle shops. Nothing can beat the waffles here! Also, this morning they crowned a new king of Belgium, so it is really cool to be here at this time! Another highlight was getting a chance to play sand volleyball in the middle of the square in Leuven this week. there is a tournament and they built temporary courts. I am terrible at sand volleyball, but I love playing annually on my family camping trip. it was a sweet taste of home and summer, and now I feel ready to compete at the family trip:) Unfortuntely I really hurt my foot playing, but I am hoping it is going to be ok. It is ridiculous how fast something can happen. I was able to run on it the day after and have an encouraging 5k workout, so I am hoping for the best and starting to get excited about the 5k this coming weekend.

 More to come later, but I am off to cheer for our dear friend we met here in Leuven, Charlotte, in the Belgian Championships!

 Tot ziens ( see you later in Dutch)!

No comments:

Post a Comment