Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Simple Life


I am still in sunny San Diego. I have had great weather, had some great workouts, and had a lot of time to reflect on my life. Jamie Cheever has been here for the last week and it has been such a gift to have a training partner. We are both staying in my sister’s studio apartment. There is no kitchen; we have a microwave and refrigerator, a toilet to toss our plate scraps in, and bathroom sink to wash dishes. It has been an inspiration to see how simply you can live! (see pic)

It is not only the studio that has been an inspiration to live simply, but also my daily routine. It is fairly simple, and I think it is benefiting my training. I acknowledge that this lifestyle is like a vacation, but want to consider how to bring some of it back to my life in Minnesota. My day here generally consists of waking up, doing a short devotional or bible study while drinking coffee and eating a few handfuls of cereal, and eventually heading out for my first workout of the day. I come home, eat, shower, go to a coffee shop or sit on the ocean and read a book, and maybe take a nap. Then I go for a second shakeout run, stretch, roll out, do some core strengthening exercises, and make dinner for when my sister returns.

After a workout with Jamie, we were sitting on the beach and acknowledging how beneficial it is to be able to devote time to training and not have to practically run to the next commitment.

I think my mother said it first, but I didn’t take it to heart until a friend, Alisha Kaiser, said “There are many good things in life, but only a few GREAT things. You need to consider what the great things are.” I have a tendency to be passionate and excited about so many things in life and have a hard time passing up the good things! I consider that I can just keep “pressing on” and continue my same lifestyle until summer and many of my commitments will end. I told Dan, my boyfriend, about my ideas. After making sure it wasn’t him that I was going to cut, :) he reminded me that the next few months, with upcoming races, are important for deciding if a running career will be a part of my future. He reminded me that I can’t do 500 things if I want to be really good at one thing. Thus, as I prepare to return to the great state of Minnesota, I am trying to consider what is best and precious and what is not. It is uncomfortable, but I think it really is necessary. I will keep you updated on the progress! I am off to spend my last day in California with my sister (I guess she can be considered a priority:).

No comments:

Post a Comment