Saturday, January 7, 2012

California Update #1

Although I said that Minnesota might be a running mecca, I have to admit that running out West has been awesome…too:) So far, my time here has been a major gift. I flew into Las Vegas, where my sister picked me up and we drove to Zion National Park. We hiked for two days before heading to our final destination: San Diego. I can’t even communicate to you how beautiful this park is. If you ever get a chance, GO SEE IT!

It has been a breath of fresh air (literally) to come to a new place; it is really helpful to have a little change in my life to refocus on my training. There are times that I forget that each workout has a value and that each one requires a unique intensity for a specific goal. I lose sight of what I am working toward; for now, my focus is towards running a 5K PR to qualify for the Olympic Trials. While in Zion, Dennis had me do a workout on the track. It couldn’t have worked out any better because there was a track across the street from where I was staying. Besides climbing a few fences, it was a perfect situation: the track was set in the mountains, the sun was rising, and the surface was quality. Before heading to the track, I committed myself to being intentional about visualizing an actual race scenario and using positive affirmations throughout. My workout was 24 200’s with 45-second rest. Throughout the workout, I envisioned where I would be in a 5K race and how I can break it down so that it is manageable and so that I remain positive. As the workout progressed, I found myself truly getting excited to race and more committed to the workout. After completing the workout, I truly believe that I am one workout closer to running a 5K PR and one step deeper into a passion for competing and training.

I am so thankful for the workouts that rejuvenate and excite me. I will admit that stepping onto a track in the middle of the mountains with the sun rising is enough to motivate anyone, but I am also convinced of the power of focusing on personal goals to inspire purpose and motivation.

No comments:

Post a Comment